> Socio-environmental assessments of non-wood forest product extraction in the Amazon Region
NATURA is the largest Brazilian company in the cosmetics sector and pursued development of a product line (EKOS) using non-wood forest products extracted on a sustainable basis, mostly from the Amazon forest. Between August 2000 and November 2002, JGP assisted NATURA through development of social and environmental sustainability analysis of rural and/or indigenous communities with potential to become suppliers. This included detailed baseline work with a strong anthropological focus, coupled to detailed biological assessments of forest resources to be exploited and limits of sustainable extraction. The assessments also focused on verification of compliance with Forest Stewardship Council (FSC) principles.
In total, seven non-wood products and associated communities were assessed in order to establish the probable environmental and social impacts of supplying to NATURA on a long-term basis. These assessments covered an equally diverse set of non-wood forest products:
Detailed forest management plans were also prepared for castanha do Pará oil extraction at the Iratapuru River Reservation and for buriti oil extraction at Palmeiras do Piauí, leading to FSC certification in the first case.
- Andiroba oil extraction at the Rio Jutaí Reservation (RESEX) – Jutaí Municipality – State of Amazonas
- Andiroba oil extraction at the Mid Juruá Reservation (RESEX) in Carauari Municipality – State of Amazonas
- Cupuaçu oil extraction at the Vila Nova California Reservation (RESEX) – Porto Velho Municipality – State of Rondônia
- Brazil Nut (Castanha do Pará) oil extraction at the Iratapuru River Reservation (RESEX) – State of Amapá.
- Mate verde extraction in the native forest of Xanxerê – State of Santa Catarina
- Buriti oil extraction - Palmeiras area – State of Piauí
- Cumaru oil extraction – Santarém area – State of Pará
> OTHER LANDMARK PROJECTS
Imigrantes Highway Duplication
Sao Paulo Metropolitan Beltway
Social Action Plan for the Onca Puma Mining Project
Socio-environmental assessments of non-wood forest product extraction in the Amazon Region
Quinta da Baronesa residential development
Comprehensive resettlement plan for irregular buildings in transmission line easements in central and southern Peru
Environmental management system and supply chain environmental stewardship procedure, for a soybean and vegetable oil complex in the states of Mato Grosso and Amazonas
Risk analysis and preliminary planning of emergency works in 23 irregular settlements in the Metropolitan Region of São Paulo
Implementation of environmental management and monitoring programs during construction of the Ourinhos hydroelectric plant